Saturday, June 22, 2013

Why I can't be an accountant

Lately, with my employment uncertainty I've felt the need to make my way to something that is less volatile and will likely never go away even when the robots arrive. I have most of the requirements done for a BA Business so I was thinking, "why I don't I just go back to school and complete a BA in Accountancy?"

It  sounds easy and it likely would be pretty straight forward to do. Accounting was always pretty easy for me to do. I have no idea why some struggle with it. Sure, it's boring trying to understand GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), but the reality is everything just has to balance out and it's not that hard if you have some perseverance.

The problem?
Accountants do not create anything, besides spreadsheets and presentations. Sure there is some creativity in there, but there is no taking of an original idea and forming it into something tangible. I think I finally discovered that throughout the last 10 or so years that I've been working that I have the most satisfaction when I am creating/building something. I do enjoy solving problems, but if those problems are excel spreadsheet formula issues I tend to go crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment